Eliminate mailing time and expedite your application! Apply online, using your user id and password, and receive a response within 10-13 business days!
If you are applying for re-exam, you can not use the on-line application. Please email the board office with your full name and the approximate date you took your first exam. MQA.email@example.com
The department shall certify eligible for the licensure examination each applicant who:
- Has completed the application form and remitted the required fees;
- Is not less than 18 years of age;
- Is a graduate of an accredited high school or possesses a certificate of equivalency of a high school education;
- Successfully passed the National Opticianry Competency Examination within three years of application or has current ABO certification;
- Successfully passed the Contact Lens Registry Examination within three years of application or has current NCLE certification; and
- Has completed one of the following:
- Received an associate degree, or equivalent, in opticianry from an accredited school; or
- Is licensed to practice opticianry in another state and has actively practiced in such state for more than 3 of the last 5 years; or
- Has actively practiced opticianry in a state in which licensure is not required for more than 5 of the last 7 years and provides tax records, business records, affidavits, etc. documenting such; or
- Has registered as an apprentice with the department and completed 6,240 hours of training under their registered sponsor(s). These requirements must be met within 5 years after the date of registration.
If an applicant fails to complete the application within 12 months of its receipt in the board office, he or she shall be required to apply as an initial applicant.
Licensure requirements following receipt of a passing score on the opticianry licensure examination:
- Copy of certificate documenting completion of a two-hour initial licensure laws and rules course from a board approved laws and rules course provider;
- Copy of certificate documenting completion of a two-hour live technical practice continuing education course on fitting and adjusting provided by a board approved provider; and
- Payment of initial licensure fee within one year of notification of successful passage of the licensure examination.
For approved provider course information visit CE Broker.
- Click on the “Course Search” link
- Select “Optician” from the drop down list of professions
- Click on “Begin Search”
The Florida Opticianry Licensure Examination Requirements consists of three parts:
Part 1. National Opticianry Competency Examination (NOCE) by the American Board of Opticianry (ABO)
Part 2. Contact Lens Registry Examination by the National Contact Lens Examiners (NCLE)
Prior to applying to take a national practical examination, you must successfully pass the National Opticianry Competency Examination (NOCE) and the Contact Lens Registry Examination (NCLE) through the American Board of Opticianry and National Contact Lens Examiners. Proof of successful completion of these two parts are required prior to taking a national practical examination.
Part 3. The National Practical Examination offered by two (2) testing vendors:
- National Optician’s Practical Examination by the National Commission of State
Opticianry and Regulatory Boards (NCSORB).Contact at www.ncsorb.org or (855) 208-9349
- American Board of Opticianry Practical and National Contact Lens Examiners Practical by
the American Board of Opticianry (ABO).Contact at www.abo-ncle.org or (703) 719-5800
Applying for the Opticianry Licensure Examination
- You must first submit an application for the licensure examination
- Applicant must submit a copy of their high school diploma or equivalency certificate
- Applicant must submit proof of receiving a passing score on the National Opticianry Competency Examination within three years of application or have current ABO certification
- Applicant must submit proof of receiving a passing score on the Contact Lens Registry Examination within three years of application or have current NCLE certification
- One of the following must be submitted:
- If applicant received an associate degree in opticianry, official transcripts must be submitted directly from the school to the board office
- If applicant completed the apprenticeship training program, a copy of the completion letter must be submitted directly to the board office
- If applicant was licensed in another state for at least 3 of the last 5 years, licensure verification must be submitted from the other state’s licensing agency
- If applicant practiced opticianry for 5 of the last 7 years in an unlicensed state, copies of tax records, business records, affidavits, etc. must be submitted to the board office
If you have met the requirements for the examination, you will receive information on how to register to sit for the examination. If you have not met the requirements for the examination, you will be advised of your deficiencies and rights.
The following documents are required prior to licensure:
- Copy of certificate documenting completion of a two-hour laws and rules course by a board approved laws and rules course provider
- Copy of certificate documenting completion of a two-hour live technical practice continuing education course on fitting and adjusting by a board approved provider
Payment of the initial licensure fee within one (1) year of notification of successful passage of the examination for Florida licensure
Make checks or money orders payable to the “Department of Health.”
|Apprentice Registration Fee:||$60.00 (nonrefundable)|
|Initial Licensure Fees:|
|If licensed in the first year of the biennium (Every odd numbered year)||$130.00|
|If licensed in the second year of the biennium (Beginning on 01/01 every even numbered year and your license expires 12/31 of the same year it was issued)||$67.50|
|Application Fee:||$100.00 (nonrefundable)|
|National Practical Exam Fees:|
|American Board of Opticianry Practical and National Contact Lens Examiners Practical by the American Board of Opticianry (Paid to ABO)||$75.00|
|National Optician’s Practical Examination by the National Commission of State Opticianry and Regulatory Boards (Paid to NCSORB)||$325.00|
|Board Certification Application Fee:||$50.00 (nonrefundable)|
Applicants and licensees are responsible for the fees outlined in applicable board or department rule at the time an application is received.
Click on Chapter or Section Number to View
Florida Administrative Code (F.A.C.)